A playlist for the Ten Commandments – Pt. 3

Last week you submitted songs spanning 4 decades that evoked lying, deception and the occasional bit of truthtelling. It was hard to choose between them, but I’ve settled on “The Hurricane” by Bob Dylan, which is probably the most literal illustration of the Ninth Word – “Do not bear false witness against your neighbour.” So, a copy of TEN will soon be winging its way to Sean Stillman. Click here to listen to the playlist on Spotify.

This week the Eighth Word is up – “Do not steal.” I quote a song lyric at the beginning of each chapter in the book – except this one. I struggled to find one that captivated me, so instead I quoted Martin Luther:

“If we look at mankind in all its conditions,                                                                               it is nothing but a vast, wide stable full of great thieves.”

So, what song lyric should I have included for this Word? Post it in the comments below, along with the artist and perhaps an explanation for your choice. Best one wins a copy of TEN.

A serendipity this morning is that my friend Clay is visiting from Houston – his wisdom is liberally sprinkled throughout the book. In the chapter for this week’s Word, the pastor, John, describes getting stung by a “Nigerian scam.” That’s autobiographical, and Clay was the person I called after I found out. Here’s the advice he gave me, which you can find on page 89:

“When someone steals from you, you need to find someone else to help out financially. Because what’s worse than being stolen from is to let the thief steal your desire to be generous. To let the thief steal your desire to help your neighbor. To let the thief steal your ability to trust others, and, I guess, to trust God.”

I’m off to get a cup of coffee with Clay at the setting for the book, Third Street Stuff. I look forward to seeing what songs you come up with – and I hope you’ll take a listen to last week’s playlist on Spotify.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A playlist for the Ten Commandments – Pt. 3

1. Bill says:

“Been Caught Stealing,” by Jane’s Addiction is a pretty good illustration, I think, of an unhealthy perspective.

I been caught stealing, once, when I was five
    I enjoy stealing, it’s just as simple as that
    Ah, well, it’s just a simple fact
    When I want something, man,
    I don’t wanna pay for it
    Now I walk right, through the door
    And I walk right through the door
    Hey all right!
    If I get by
    It’s a-mine,
    Mine, all mine!

2. The Irish standard “Whiskey in the Jar” – the classic modern version is by Thin Lizzy though many others (including Metallica) have recorded it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehFZ38kt6o

No moral really, but consequences.

3. Alan Combs says:

It’s hard to beat the Jane’s Addiction song, but here’s another thought:

Banquets – “Starts and Stops”

When I was young I stole anything I could.
    My parents gave me everything.
    A petty thief with a fear of god, I learned.
    I learned to feel no shame.

4. Peter says:

You’ve Got To Pick a Pocket or Two

“In this life, one thing counts
    In the bank, large amounts
    I’m afraid these don’t grow on trees,
    You’ve got to pick-a-pocket or two”

5. rnforbes says:

Gavin Degraw…Stealing

Cause we had a good time
    Then it was sorrow
    I call it stealing
    You call it borrow
    So I want my heart back
    If you’re not gonna keep it
    If you’ve got no uses
    Then I’m gonna need it
    And someone else
    Is gonna need it too

6. Rob says:

Check out “Somebody’s Been Stealin'” by the Rev. J.M. Gates. I heard it on a compilation of old Spirituals as an example of a the process by which Spirituals were developed…so it starts out sounding like a sermon but very quickly the intonation, pacing, and melody become apparent. Even if it isn’t broad enough in it’s message to hit at what you’re trying to do with the Eighth Word, I think it’ll provide a nuance to the concept of stealing that some of these other songs don’t touch on. You can find the track on Spotify… http://open.spotify.com/track/5CyiLhejA8yEn8kUehKdFz

7. Kara Chesnutt says:

My first thought was “Been Caught Stealin'” by Jane’s Addiction. But since it was already mentioned, I will go with something else 🙂 Can I offer 3?

“Take the Money and Run” by Steve Miller Band

“Thieves in the Temple” by Prince:
    Love come quick
    Love come in a hurry
    There are thieves in the temple tonight

“Hunger Strike” by Temple of the Dog which is probably my favorite lyrically:

I don’t mind stealing bread
    From the mouths of decadents
    But I can’t feed on the powerless
    When my cup’s already overfilled