Jesus of Nazareth Obituary

Face of Jesus - forensic reconstructionJESUS of Nazareth passed away on Nisan 14th in Jerusalem.

He is preceded in death by Joseph bar Jacob, who raised him as his own son. He is survived by his mother, Mary; brothers James, Joses and Judas, and his sisters.

Jesus of Nazareth was born in Bethlehem of Judea. His family fled to Egypt when he was two, seeking political asylum.

They returned to Nazareth in Galilee after the death of Herod the Great. Jesus was apprenticed as a carpenter to Joseph, and worked in the family business until his thirties.

He was baptized in the Jordan River by the prophet John bar Zechariah, his cousin. He spent the next 3 years living as an itinerant rabbi, with a small school of 12 disciples. He received the patronage of Joanna, the wife of Chuza (Herod’s steward), Susanna and many others.

He devoted his life to serving the least, the last and the lost, wherever he found them. He proclaimed that the kingdom of God has drawn near, and bore witness to it through liberating people from the demonic, from disease and from the slow death of social exclusion. Despite our repeated warnings, his teaching, his work and especially those whom he chose to call friend inevitably drew the attention of the authorities.

The family wishes to make it clear that his arrest and immediate trial took place without due process. The charges of blasphemy and of being a threat to national security were not corroborated by a single witness. He was humiliated and brutalized in custody before his execution by the State.

He died as he lived: extending forgiveness to those responsible for his death.

He will be greatly missed by his family, his friends – the “sinners” – and by the poor.

The family wish to extend their gratitude to Joseph of Arimathea for covering the funeral expenses.

For more of Jesus’ story, take a look at my first book, “The Story of God, the Story of Us”.

For an introduction to my current series re-imagining the Gospel of Mark, click here.

Advertisements

15 Responses to Jesus of Nazareth Obituary

1. Dan says:

But a few days later a retraction on the entire obit was written since the deceased has yet to actually die for good and never will.

2. Awesome, Sean; well done!

3. Dear Jesus, I can’t believe you’re gone. I remember all the meals we’ve had together – you’ll always be at my table, bro, I still like to think I’ll see your face again someday, but in the meantime I’ll try to do right for the hardest up folks like you asked me to. You’ll always be my friend.

4. Pingback: Project of Mercy | Jesus of Nazareth Obituary

5. Rev. Heidi Smith says:

,,,boy, are they in for a shock come morning! Hallelujah!

6. Thinkdigest says:

Wow well done! He’s great. Love this.
    Love, George.

7. Pingback: Jesus of Nazareth Obituary | wordpresscom97547

8. Sam Aaron Morgan says:

Editors Retraction: Nisan 16th. If reports are true, it would appear our obituary was written too soon… we await further details.

9. Maureen Flynn says:

Perhaps it should have ended with: “in lieu of flowers, feeding the poor would be appreciated.”

• Mary says:

Letter from the Editor:
      We apologize for the confusion created when we ran the obituary of Jesus of Nazareth in last week’s publication. The family wishes for the public to be aware that Jesus is not dead, but has risen, just as he said he would. To discourage speculation as to his resurrection, Jesus has been making many appearances to friends and strangers alike, who confirm the news that he is alive. We apologize for the grief that the false reports of Jesus’ death may have caused. Please direct all questions to Thomas, who is acting on the family’s behalf in clearing up the confusion of this matter.

10. Pingback: Easter Reflection 2016 | Tensile Strands

11. Brian Days says:

I lived my life a blind, blasphemous wretch for 32 years. I used God’s name in vain and as a punchline to anyone who tried to share the Good News.
    As horrible as I was, the Holy Spirit kept pursuing me, Jesus kept knocking…on May 2, 2004 I was baptized. What a precious gift…for free, no secret charges or debts you have to pay. Jesus had paid for all my sin. He took my place on the cross. Thanks be to God for the grace of Jesus because a am receiving eternal life instead of death that I deserve.
    It was a nice write up, the obituary I mean. I hate that it had to happen like that…but I know Jesus would lay His life down for us again and again.
    It is hard for me to be solemn or she’d to many tears because I know a secret. It Good News. If you know it, you want others to know it.
    I’ll tell you cause I can’t wait until Sunday. God’s not dead. Jesus is alive and well… the tomb is empty. He is risen, hallelujah!!!
    If you don’t know Jesus, look for Him, it will change your life forever.
    If you know Jesus, then tell everyone you know…shout it from the roof tops!
    God bless you.